[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 08:15:31 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 06.08.2015 um 09:06 schrieb Lauri Kytömaa <lkytomaa at gmail.com>:
>
> . Most sidewalks don't have any
> traffic signs, but they are footways

whether they are footways in osm is somehow disputed I believe. They are not independent ways on their own but rather similar to lanes (mostly).

> , and most footways in
> parks don't have any signs designating them, but they still
> function as a footway and look like a footway, especially
> when the mapper compares them to the combined or
> segregated footway and cycleway nearby.

Yes (might depend on the region).

> This is to say
> that not all footways are equal to path+foot=designated,
> but in the other direction the implied equivalence holds.

ok, you have to look at "official" then. Unlike designated, it doesn't require access to be signposted, it requires "legally dedicated" which holds true for sidewalks and park footways.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:access%3Dofficial

cheers
Martin