[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 09:18:05 UTC 2015

>> Am 06.08.2015 um 03:50 schrieb johnw <johnw at mac.com>:
>>
>> If I have a cycleway that is built to cycleway specs (paved, rounded turns, lanes, and no stairs), but peds are still allowed, then it is a cycleway with foot access =yes
>>
>> I would never consider tagging that as =path with foot & cycle =yes.
>
> the equivalent would be:
>
> highway=path
> bicycle=designated/official
> foot=yes

I'm assuming here that you're assuming that "designated" or "official"
in an access tag (which is what "bicycle" is normally) here implies a
value of "yes", though the wiki is unclear on that point*.  Imagine in
that example that bicycle access was "permissive" rather than "yes" -
how would you tag that?

Cheers,

Andy

* Interestingly http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access does not