[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 14:20:02 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

Am 06.08.2015 um 15:22 schrieb johnw <johnw at mac.com>:

>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Duck_tagging
>

> I would like that post burned onto the surface of the moon with a laser, so we can see it hanging ver our heads every night as we map and think of tagging schemes.

you mean particularly this passage?

"'highway=cycleway' is just like this. It's a meaningful object. It means a path...."
----

highway=cycleway means a kind of path ;-)

While duck tagging works very good within the same culture and region, it bears at the same time the risk that mappers in different regions have different assumptions of what is implied by certain words. Eg the cycleway: in some parts of the world, cycleways implicitly allow pedestrians while in other parts they are implicitly banned. If all mappers just map cycleways and don't care for access restrictions for pedestrians we end up with the same tags meaning different things.

cheers
Martin