[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 16:59:12 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 06.08.2015 um 17:03 schrieb John Willis <johnw at mac.com>:
>
> Just as we have a variance as to what is a "primary road" in a third world vs first world nation, we can still have a consistent regional meaning to what is a "primary" road. The same could be said of cycleway or footway.

you're the second person on this mailing list in a short period stating this (different definition for primary road between so-called third and first world nations), but it is not true. We have global definitions for the highway tag roads: from primary to unclassified there is a hierarchy. Now the actual physical appearance will vary a lot between primaries according to the context, true, and not just between a poor country and a rich country but also within the same country (e.g. due to traffic density, rural vs. urban setting, topography, cultural heritage etc.)

cheers
Martin