[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 21:15:02 UTC 2015

On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 08:45:10 -0400
Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> I agree that's a mess.  I think the biggest issue is that path and
> footway render very differently, e.g.
>
>    highway=path foot=designated  bicycle=yes  (== highway=footway,
> with bikes allowed))
>
> is almost the same as
>
>   highway=path foot=yes bicycle=yes
>
> but looks very different.

Yes - JOSM, iD and Default rendering all have this problem.

See also
https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/2327 - "take into account
access tags for path rendering" (ticket)
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/1713 -
"unify=path/footway styling, show surface for
highway=path/footway/cycleway" (pull request)
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/11753 "stop rendering
highway=path in way that implies that it is for low quality
footways" (ticket).