[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Aug 6 23:29:30 UTC 2015

Ilpo Järvinen <ilpo.jarvinen at helsinki.fi> writes:

> You seem to admit that there's need for some hierarchy, however, on the
> same time you seem to oppose the idea that such hierarcy would exists
> based on physical properties (man-made vs informal). I find it strange
> since it shouldn't be that hard to come up use cases where excluding or
> warning the user about informal paths is very useful thing. In order to
> make mappers to tag that differentiation, I think that the default
> stylesheet should visualize this difference somehow.

There are two issues. One is the physical aspect, and I think you
overweight how much people care about that.  Or rather, people
understand that trails through the forest are not usually paved.

The hierarchy that I care about is showing trails that are useful for
traveling longer distances at lower zoom levels.  When zooming out, I
still want to see trails that are useful for big distances, whereas
sidewalks are clutter.  This is not so different from still showing
primary.  But it's not about physical, it's about the logical place in
the road network.   For car roads, high-status roads tend to be
wider/faster.  For trails, that's not really true.