[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Fri Aug 7 07:37:58 UTC 2015

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 7, 2015, at 3:59 PM, geow <ksgeo at web.de> wrote:
>
> Rendering should never rely on assumptions but on physical values

Theres no *physical* value separating a primary, secondary, tertiary, unclassified, or service road. I can find one of each that the exact same width, surface, smoothness, length, lanes, incline, lighting, poodle=yes - everything - here within 5miles of my location. its all about purpose or legal definition - So purpose is best - the duckiness.

Why purposely make tagging non-car ways different and make it massive hinderance to new mappers when a single tag could do it? An existing single tag! It is a total mystery to me.

You can tag all of those grade/sac/smoothness attributes on *any* non-carway - but the root highway=* tag does more to say what it is than any other tag. Im not going to tagging SAC scale on a sidewalk because the tag creators were too myopic to make proper tags.  We're trapped in a sea of subtags that pretends to define main tags, when they don't. They are *further attributes* of the way.

The main highway=tag is king. For car and non-car ways.

Javbw.