[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Fri Aug 7 07:50:56 UTC 2015

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 7, 2015, at 3:59 PM, geow <ksgeo at web.de> wrote:
>
> non-native English mappers may
> have different assumptions of what is semantically implied or what is usable
> according to their region.

Tell me about it - I live and map in Japan. And their rules on =trunk through =secondary definitions are different than most other countries mapped in OSM because they follow Japanese mapping convention where the legal name /shield designation of the road is the *only* information for determining which kind of road it is tagged as - 1.5 lane "primary" road a hundred years old next to a 4 lane "tertiary" bypass built 10 years ago to go around the narrow primary is common. It leads to a lot of errors and horrible navigation problems (in Apple Maps and Google Maps) because they rely on the legal standing more than lanes or width when routing - so i know they have a place and a Job - but you cannot declare every road is highway=main and then base everything on lanes, width, and smoothness.

What highway=* value is given to a way is the most important tag it can receive, and there is not a sub-tag that even comes close to its importance - to mappers, renders, routers, or map viewers. It is king. And =path is too muddled to be used properly, and should be narrowed/depreciated over time.

Javbw