[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 09:52:13 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 07.08.2015 um 01:15 schrieb Ilpo Järvinen <ilpo.jarvinen at helsinki.fi>:
>
> "unpaved paths" is actually built-up
> recretional route whereas the others are just tiny, some even faintly
> visible, forest trails.

there are the tags width, trail visibility and maybe others, that address this problem

> In theory this prominance problem might be solved
> by informal=yes but in practice I expect at least the mapnik stylesheet
> guys to stonewall on this because of the extra data column that will be
> needed to make them less prominant

Osm carto is about to activate the hstore extension which will remove the requirement of a column for every key...

Informal is not a key about visual prominence but rather a way to distinguish built ways from those that emerge by pure usage

cheers
Martin