[Tagging] landcover=trees definition

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Mon Aug 17 21:35:23 UTC 2015

Then we can create some biome tags to handle more complex tagging, but being able to define commonly encountered landcovers is necessary.

My city has huge flood control embankmnets along the natural river in certain places. There is abandoned sections of asphalt and concrete in patches in odd places (abandoned places)

There are also huge expanses of (planted) grass kept on other sections of the flood control levees which are just there - not a park, not a meadow - just grass. There are natural=scrub sections too.

I know this issue started with forest/wood/trees, but there are other simple tags that can benefit from just "landcover" - and we can figure out more complicated "biome" tags as we go. Sometimes it is just cedar trees, pine trees, bamboo, eucalyptus, or California Oak,  - and the ground level biome is sparse/not interesting/not worthy enough to bother mapping.

Maybe that can be extended with simple subtags (like forests) or some "OpenBotanyMap" kind of additional tags.

Javbw