[Tagging] Describe explicitly that values of highway tag do not imply anything about road quality (except highway=motorway and highway=motorway_link)

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Aug 19 20:01:18 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 2:52 PM, <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> On Wed Aug 19 18:36:05 2015 GMT+0100, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 5:19 PM, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Note that it afffects also highway=path - in that case some/many
> > > people are convinced that there is some kind of difference of implied
> > > quality between highway=path and highway=footway.
> >

> > I tend to see the distinction as this:
> >
> It depends where you are.
> > highway=bridleway
> > foot=no
> > bicycle=no
> > horse=designated
> > motor_vehicle=no
> In the UK a bridleway is also for foot and bicycles. Although you usually
> need a trail or mountain bike to cycle on one.

It's an exceptionally rare feature in the US so it's not something I've
regularly tagged yet.  Only ones I can recall *ever* seeing in my life are
mostly in Los Angeles County (of all places), with another (which is
definitely closed to bikes) in Riverside County parallel to the Pacific
Electric Cycleway.

> > highway=footway
> > foot=designated
> > bicycle=no
> > horse=no
> > motor_vehicle=no
> >
> > highway=cycleway
> > foot=no
> > bicycle=designated
> > horse=no
> > motor_vehicle=no
> Again in the UK you can walk on a cycleway, but not in Germany.

 Because this is such a confusing situation, I try to always explicitly tag
modes on motorway, path and cycleway, and unusual features like bicycle=yes
on footways and sidewalks.