[Tagging] waterway=derelict_canal

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Wed Aug 26 12:44:22 UTC 2015

On 25/08/2015 23:20, Paul Norman wrote:
> On 8/24/2015 3:35 PM, Andy Townsend wrote:
>> That's not so bad in lua, but imagine writing "... and not
>> disused=yes" into every cartocss rule!
>
> Fortunately, we will not have to do that in OpenStreetMap Carto, as we
> will not be supporting the style of tagging where one tag says what
> something is, then another tag saying it's not really that, but used
> to be, or will be. We do not want to encourage the use of disused=yes,
> abandoned=yes, or similar tags.

Sub tags give *extra* data about an entity.

A pub that's closed down it's still recognisable as a pub. It's not a
park bench or a multi-storey car park. It's just closed. This should be
described in sub tags.

Similarly a canal that's derelict hasn't morphed into an airplane
runway. Use sub tags to describe its condition.

Expecting mappers to change tagging because renderers are unwilling to
add a few lines of code is the tail wagging the dog & we don't want to
encourage that.

Dave F.