[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

Bryan Housel bryan at 7thposition.com
Thu Aug 27 20:36:03 UTC 2015

`highway=footway` implies an access tag `foot=designated`
`highway=path` implies an access tag `foot=yes` (but can certainly be overridden)

“designated” is kind of a tricky concept, but it basically means something like:
- there is a sign saying you can walk there
- or something like a sign (trail blaze or map at trailhead or visitor center etc)
- or everyone just knows you are supposed to walk there (as in a sidewalk) because laws

HTH,
Bryan