[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu Aug 27 21:47:06 UTC 2015

Footway is a constructed or engineered way, dedicated and built to a grade where foot traffic should expect an easy walk. This might make other traffic passage easier as well ( bikes), but engineered with pedestrians in mind.

Path is a cleared area with minimal-to-no construction to create the surface, or uses repurposed ways/areas that are no longer suitable for 4 wheel traffic (and abandoned road, track, or brownfield). The lack of considerate engineering means the way can be used by any non 4-wheel traffic because it was not engineered at a grade to specifically be a footpath.

Before they change path to mimic footpath, can we at least have a "trail" way then?
This is getting ridiculous.

This change also means the retagging of all paths in Japan, as path is defined as a trail.
But thanks to a data import a long time ago using path, almost all paths need to be re tagged as tracks anyways (as they are tracks dedicated to 4 wheel (farming) vehicles.

Javbw