[Tagging] Access tags (general question, but mostly regarding bicycle)

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 12:41:56 UTC 2015

On 28/08/2015 13:15, Anders Fougner wrote:

> So we should consider replacing the tagging scheme with one which
> isn't misunderstood so easily.
> The use of access:foot=*, access:bicycle=* has been proposed at
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/access_restrictions_1.5#Namespace>
> but just not taken into use. It looks good, though...and wouldn't be
> so easily misunderstood, I believe.

Based on past experience, not going to happen, for all sorts of
reasons.  Also, I suspect that "access:bicycle" is just as likely to be
misunderstood as "bicycle".  In addition, I suspect that most people
making these sorts of mistakes are relatively new mappers using an
editor that hides tag values from them, so it is also pointless.

Far better, when you see someone locally tagging incorrectly like that,
is to talk to them, explain the problem, and suggest which tags they
should be using.  I'm sure most cycle routers do try and take notice of
sensible tagging (though there will sometimes be problems that need to
be bounced to the router maintainers -
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/33592375 and
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=32884 spring to mind).
The "surface" tag is the obvious one; specifically for bikes
"*mtb:scale* <http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org.uk/keys/mtb%3Ascale>" is
probably the most popular locally to me, but near you it might be
something else.

Cheers,

Andy (SomeoneElse)