[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 13:01:51 UTC 2015

> as path can be sub tagged to be the same as bridleway or cycleway and
> excluding pedestrians, this is simply not true

No, it can't.  It _can_ be sub-tagged to have the same _access_
restrictions_ as a bridleway and cycleway, sure, and you could probably
approach cycleway with smoothness etc., but what about bridleway?  How
do you communicate the essential "bridlewayness" of a bridleway using
subtags?  How do I know that my horse* won't bang his head on the trees
above, can fit through the gates and won't get reprimanded for, er,
making it clear where he's been**?

Cheers,

Andy

* imaginery, like Mark Wood's, obviously.

** and rather that just making up some tags here, now show where you've
actually tagged a "highway=path bridleway" with them previously :)