[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 16:39:04 UTC 2015

On 28/08/2015 17:28, ksg wrote:

>> Am 28.08.2015 um 16:18 schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>:
>>

>> sent from a phone
>>
>>> Am 28.08.2015 um 15:01 schrieb Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> No, it can't.  It _can_ be sub-tagged to have the same _access_ restrictions_ as a bridleway and cycleway, sure, and you could probably approach cycleway with smoothness etc., but what about bridleway?  How do you communicate the essential "bridlewayness" of a bridleway using subtags?  How do I know that my horse* won't bang his head on the trees above, can fit through the gates and won't get reprimanded for, er, making it clear where he's been**?
>>
>> horse=designated
>>

> There is even horse_scale, see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:horse_scale
> Some horse whisperer may translate that to English, albeit bridleways represent only a very small proportion (0.007) of the total number of 9 Mio. footways and paths.

Thanks - that's exactly the sort of thing that I was looking for!

http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/bay

It's somewhat geographically limited (due to the German text I guess)
but I can think of a few examples near me that are legally bridleways
but you would struggle with a horse for various reasons.

Cheers,

Andy