[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

geow ksgeo at web.de
Fri Aug 28 22:17:17 UTC 2015

Ilpo Järvinen wrote
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2015, Warin wrote:
>
> For those who would want to have a separate tag for 'trails', it's
> exclusive but obviously those who would want to tag everything with
> highway=path+subtags will disagree :-).
>
> I see there are three main sides in this, those who would want...
>
>   1. ...highway=path == highway=footway
>   2. ...highway=path only
>   3. ...to have additional highway=trail (or similar value) that is
>      distinct from path/footway

An additional highway type "trail" is no solution to the problem of missing
decent classification criteria "path vs footway" and would  likely cause
further trouble for many sorts of reasons.

I personally prefer to use the universal and compatible "highway=path".
Along with specific sub-tags for physical and access properties it's the
Swiss army knife for non motorized traffic.