[Tagging] Shop vs amenity

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Sat Aug 29 14:07:17 UTC 2015

> On Aug 29, 2015, at 9:53 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure those are or have to be "landuses ", eg the gated community is a settlement or settlement part.

A group of separate buildings that make up an apartment complex is a single named Landuse=residential

This is a group of individual building=apartments grouped together to be a singularly named place with a single Landuse. Without the landuse to tie them together, thy are just buildings next to each other.  


If you don't go by landuse, you end up with this mess - what happens in Japan with bad data. 

The government builds complexes full of apartment buildings, and gives them names like Ref=A1, A2 , etc - but zenrin's data is crap, and feeds the complex name + ref to Google to map each building like it is a separate facility. 

http://goo.gl/maps/XVuEx (this is A1)

I want to avoid this stupidity.

If you visit the complex, it is a single name, with a single landuse, with map out front with the complex name on top, and the refs on the individual buildings. 

That is how i want to map it too. 

So landuse=residential is a wonderful thing to group buildings into their respective "complexes" - just like buildings in a shopping plaza, a gated community, a business park, industrial complex, or regional capital buildings.  

Many buildings with unique names. 
One landuse with one name on it. 


More information about the Tagging mailing list