[Tagging] Proposed mechanical edit: surface=woodchip to surface=woodchips

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 10:23:36 UTC 2015

this email is copy of
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Mateusz_Konieczny/surface%3Dwoodchip_to_surface%3Dwoodchips

I plan to change surface=woodchip to surface=woodchips

surface=woodchip is a clear duplicate of surface=woodchips. It is also
less popular and undocumented on Key:surface. It would be a good idea
to retag it to already documented tag before this tags are used more.

amount of surface=woodchip in OSM as of 2015-08-31 is 135.

amount of surface=dirt in OSM as of 2015-08-31 is 226.

I'd download all surface=soil using Overpass API and change the tagging
by search and replace using Level0 editor. The upload of the changed
data I'd do in chunks to check the data once more before upload and not
to create a worldwide changeset.

This would be a one time edit.

Edits will be made from account "Mateusz Konieczny: bot account"

Example:

state before mechanical edit:

    highway=footway
    surface=woodchip

state after mechanical edit:

    highway=footway
    surface=woodchips

Changeset comment would be " changing surface=woodchip to
surface=woodchips as surface=woodchip is less popular duplicate. This
mechanical edit is documented at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Mateusz_Konieczny/surface%3Dwoodchip_to_surface%3Dwoodchips
"

Contact: message via OSM