[Tagging] Proposed mechanical edit: surface=soil to surface=dirt

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 10:59:26 UTC 2015

On 31/08/15 11:33, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 10:35:24 +0100
> "ajt1047 at gmail.com" <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There are 32 in the UK, by only 2 mappers (both still active but
>> edits are from many years ago).  Extrapolating that there have only
>> been probably only 25 mappers using this tag worldwide.
> Is there some method to automate finding who introduced tags? Doing it
> manually would not be worth the effort. On the other hand - running
> script to detect users (and/or relevant changesets) may be a good idea.

I'm not aware of any existing tools to do it, but that doesn't mean that
there aren't any.  It does sound like something that could be automated
(either on a per-way basis or a per-tag basis, though that sounds like
it would need access to data from a full-history planet).  However it's
just taken me longer to reply to this email than it did to find out
where the examples in the UK came from, so in the case of very small
usages like this finding the "full story" behind a tag needn't take long. :)

It may not be the case here (too few examples), but often any check of a
particular tag will find "obviously garbage" values, or values that at
first look don't make sense, until it clicks what the original mapper
was really trying to record, and in such cases the answer might not be
"dirt" but something else altogether.

Cheers,

Andy (SomeoneElse)

PS - as expected the ones in the UK do look like exact synonyms for
"dirt" - I'm not sure I've ever walked any of the "soil" ones SE of
Nottingham but I've certainly walked plenty of adjacent ones and would
say those were "dirt".