[Tagging] Proposed mechanical edit: surface=soil to surface=dirt

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 12:27:59 UTC 2015

Agree with the edit - change soil to dirt. Soil is a word commonly used for
potting soil in the U.S. You will also sometimes see the phrase "night
soil", an older but once common euphemism for human waste.

FWIW, in my part of the U.S. any road that was unpaved was commonly
referred to as a dirt road so that usage fits very well with my experience.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 7:11 PM, johnw <johnw at mac.com> wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2015, at 7:11 PM, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:
>
> Totally agree, I support this edit.
>

> +1, also the definition of 'dirt' should be improved in the wiki (currently
> referring back to 'ground'), and 'soil' should be written into the wiki as
> deprecated
> and not to be used.
>
> tom
>

> +1 for me too.
>
> I always thought soil was some kind of prepared dirt for planting (potting
> soil or whatnot) - never heard of a “soil road” - but a “dirt road” is very
> common, as is gravel, etc etc.
>
> Javbw

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska