[Tagging] Wi-Fi or internet access at Stores

moltonel moltonel at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 12:33:12 UTC 2015

On 13 December 2015 12:02:22 GMT+00:00, Richard <ricoz.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 11:22:53AM +0000, moltonel wrote:
>> Customer-only and non-gratis wifi are arguably not "public" but they
>are mapworthy. And the subtags to express these are
>internet_access:access and internet_access:fee (with the usual values
>of the access and fee tags).
>
>Depends on how you interpret customer-only: I would map internet cafes
>which
>are customer-only but not hotel wifis which are available only for
>overnight
>guests.

By definition, overnight guests are customers. While some hotels do not mind if you come in just for the wifi without even buying a coffee, some will. In my experience, most free wifi is actually (intended to be) customers-only, even if most osm contributors don't bother to tag it.

>Also would not map hotspots which require eg a monthly subscription.

Do you make a difference between monthly and sorter timespan ? Is tacit reconduction the issue ? In any case, the *:fee tag should be used. When you're abroad, even a cumbersome signup process might be worth it.
--
Vincent Dp