[Tagging] Swimming pools

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Sat Dec 19 15:27:13 UTC 2015

> On Dec 19, 2015, at 11:38 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thermal baths should be differentiated I believe.

+1

Facilities (indoor or outdoor: covered=yes?) Usually break along 3 main points

Sports - athletic - training

Recreation - play

Bathing - health

We should be able to tag the usage of the pools (swimming pool / diving / bathing / splashing) and the overall purpose of the facility. Some places have a kiddie pool in the corner, or a jacuzzi to relax the muscles after a long swim at a public lap pool. - but they do not make the facility a water park nor a bath house.

Leisure =swimming pool takes care of pool itself, and leisure=aquatic_centre takes care of the facility.

Leisure=water_park takes care of the facility, but perhaps a subkey of leisure=swimming_pool can be used to define one of the categories (sports/recreation) or activites (lap, water polo, diving, splash, wave, tube, multi, residential (good value, since they are ambiguous and not easily put in the other category).

Bath facility is covered by public_bath, but the visible/mappable pools are not defined. I think swimming pool is very wrong for these man made, yet not for swimming features.

Perhaps leisure=bathing_pool would be good - much better than natural=water.

The subkey for amenity=public_bath (with combinations of hotel and spa for the building) attempts to define usage of the pools (foot soaker, etc) - but does not aid in directly mapping any outdoor bathing pools directly.  There should be a key value for water features used for bathing.

Also - bathing wiki page says to add bath:open_air=yes to a public swimming pool - this is totally wrong.

If I show up to a public swimming pool with my body soap and shampoo caddy, scrub towel, modesty cloth, and razor - then get naked and start scrubbing myself sitting on the steps - I highly doubt that is acceptable behavior at the public swimming pool. And if I started throwing a water polo ball across the larger onsen pools at an onsen resort, I would be similarly reviled and kicked out.

Bathing and swimming pools should be kept separate.

Tagging schemes to separate the three categories should be expanded.
Javbw.