[Tagging] How to tag a cistern?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 09:21:44 UTC 2015

On 31/01/2015 10:49 AM, S Volk wrote:

> Hi,
> I've been mapping on Africa in HOT tasks and around, I've seen some
> cisterns, also know that some humanitarian NGOs have made many
> cisterns  on Africa (also water_wells).
>
> Question:
> How to tag a cistern (it seems to be not like what is shown for
> "landuse=reservoir"; rather a small "man made" reservoir, on ground
> level or escavated, for either natural or treated water)?
>
> Or, in addition, since there are tags for "man_made=water_well,
> "man_made=water_tower", wouldn't it be worth to have a tag like
> "man_made=cistern"?
>
> Thank you in advance, regards,
> Sérgio (user:SergioAJV)
> svolk2 at hotmail.com

A 'cistern' has a mechanism for keeping a water level stable, commonly
used in toilets. And OSM has no tag for that feature (yet). They are
connected to a water supply with some pressure behind it.

  I'd think you want to map the provision of water?
If it is 'drinkable' then the generic amenity=drinking_water would suit?
If non potable then amenity=watering_place ?

If you don't know if it is drinkable then assume not, so use
amenity=watering_place ? Maybe add a note ?