[Tagging] How to tag a cistern?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 21:35:38 UTC 2015

On 3/02/2015 8:10 AM, Clifford Snow wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 12:54 PM, John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com
> <mailto:john at jfeldredge.com>> wrote:
>
>     Once again, we are divided by a common language. In American
>     usage, a cistern is a holding tank for captured rain water, used
>     as an alternative to a well in areas where no city water supply is
>     available. They often take the form of an underground pit with a
>     waterproof lining.
>

> I've also seen them on the coast of Alaska in above ground tanks to
> catch rain water.

In Australia rain water collection is common, or more correctly
essential, in country areas. They are usually placed on the ground, or
on a platform. Less frequently they are on elevated platforms or
underground. Frequently they are simply called 'rain water tanks' or
'water tanks'. Cistern would be very rarely used, if ever, for these
kind of tanks. In remote areas each building will have at least one
tank, some the the tanks are quite large. Probable tag
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/storage_tank