[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - temperature

Kotya Karapetyan kotya.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 09:56:05 UTC 2015

Hi,

+1 for the proposal as such.

I have suggestions for some parts of the proposal though.

1) I would discourage specification of the temperature without the
scale indication. I have never lived in the US but I see from the Web
that Americans like specifying temperature in degrees Fahrenheit
without mentioning it (the same way as we in Europe use centigrade
without underlying it). Taking into account the international nature
of the OSM community, I foresee a significant risk that the map will
get populated with invalid values. Warin is right about SI units, but
SI is not even strictly followed in the technical and scientific
community, not to mention the general public. Obviously, Americans in
general ignore it by using inches, miles and degrees Fahrenheit :) I
am afraid many people will not have heard about SI guidelines and will
not have read the wiki page in significant detail.

Therefore, for the sake of clarity, I suggest always specifying "F" or
"C" with the temperature value.

2) I suggest clarifying the verbal specification of the temperature.
- Replace "chilled" with "cool" (by analogy with "warm") and also
because "chilled" actually assumes that I know that the object was
purportedly cooled down, which adds yet another uncertainty and is
usually not very relevant;
- remove the definition of "substantially colder" etc., because it
doesn't add any clarity. I agree that it is important to distinguish
between safe and unsafe situations, so let's just do that:

freezing
cold — may be unsafe to handle
cool
warm
hot — may be unsafe to handle
boiling
adjustable — the object temperature can be changed by consumer/user
variable — the object temperature can vary on its own
ambient — the object always remains at ambient temperature (note that
this may include the object being "cold" and "warm", including being
unsafe to handle, depending on the ambient temperature; think about
water in Siberia rivers in January)

3) For the numeric specification, I suggest adding:
- "above"/"below" options
- "approximate" value
- range of temperatures (using above/below)

E.g.
temperature:circa = 80 C
temperature:above[:circa] = 300 C
temperature:below[:circa] = 1000 C