[Tagging] How to tag a cistern?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 19:58:49 UTC 2015

> <mailto:baloo at ursamundi.org>>:
>

>         It seems like an above-ground tank would be more prone to
>         freezing, not less. I have lived in two houses that had
>         cisterns, although neither one was still in use.
>

>     In this climate, yes,
>

> actually in all climates. What is varying is the depth you have to go
> to to avoid freezing in winter, or if it's permafrost you don't have
> to care because it will be always frozen anyway ;-)

Here you dig down to get out of the heat. And the depth, as you say,
varies as does the stable temperature. The depth variation is probably
due to the soil/moisture variation. One book I've read says that there
is a phase variation - if you pick the right depth you can have warmer
in winter and cooler in summer.