[Tagging] courtyards

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Fri Feb 6 22:14:17 UTC 2015

Courtyards use to be mapped as "inner" members of building multipolygons. We
can also use the multipolygon relation to assign a name to the bullding. If
we want to assign a name to the courtyard, we must assign it to the way. But
then we need some kind of physical tag in addition. Applications won't know
what do do with the name when there aren't any other tags.

Some courtyards are tagged place=locality or highway=pedestrian or
leisure=park, but they all seem wrong. A place=locality wouldn't be that
strictly delimited, and a park or pedestrian area need not occupy the entire
courtyard.

A courtyard really has nothing to do with leisure=*, and it is not a highway
either. It's just a hole in a building. What key can we use for this?

What about place=courtyard (an area spared by a buildng), analogous to
place=island (an area spared by the ocean)?