[Tagging] courtyards

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 08:39:16 UTC 2015

On 7/02/2015 6:03 PM, Alex Rollin wrote:
> imho a courtyard is related to leisure.
>
> why for: because a courtyard matters to people with leisure time and
> it is a luxury of sorts.
>
> why against: perhaps a courtyard is a sequestered area/way as it is
> often tagger highway designated footpath as an area, an area that is a
> Very big way for foot traffic, and so not leisure at all, just a big
> highway with special rules.
>
> I would like to hear more from others.

For me a courtyard is enclosed by a building, or more than one building.
It can even be inside a building. They are not intended for lots of
through pedestrian traffic but as an place to relax, or a view to enjoy.
See cloister too.  Some have arcades or colonnades around them to take
pedestrian traffic away .. or provide a shaded resting place to view them.

In some cultures they are used to provide a privet space for a family
home, the homes' external walls provide a barrier to the outside, while
an inside courtyard provides air and light to the house as well as a
place to relax. Spain. Morocco are nice to visit.