[Tagging] courtyards

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 18:40:59 UTC 2015

> Am 08.02.2015 um 16:14 schrieb Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de>:
>
> No, it definitely wouldn't. The building:part key has a clear definition
> e.g. in the context of 3D rendering that does not fit for courtyards at
> all. All building:part elements need to represent filled-out volumes
> rather than empty volumes like a courtyard.

in architecture you'd definitely consider a courtyard part of a building, and volumes are distinguished in fully closed, open at the top and closed on top but open at the sides (at least in German building codes aka DIN), but if we have clear definitions for OSM that volumes open on one or more sides aren't to be considered building parts, I'll take that back.

cheers,
Martin