[Tagging] Tram tracks running in a road

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Feb 8 22:42:40 UTC 2015

On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Markus Lindholm <markus.lindholm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 8 February 2015 at 19:57, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't like to reuse the same ways for both railway and highway. The
> shape
> > of the railways follow smooth curves for obvious reasons, whereas cars
> can
> > make 90 degree turns.
>
> I don't understand why that is a problem. If the road is such that the
> vehicles drive on top of the tracks, then the obvious solution is to
> have just one way with both highway and railway tags. At corners and
> otherwise where the track for the tram diverges from the road create a
> separate way for the tracks.

 A better way would be to have a region of landuse=highway or an associated
street relation.  The roadway and the tracks have different centerlines,
and these things *absolutely do *matter for certain applications.  The way
should be in the centerline of the roadway or between the rails in a
track.  Each track should have it's own way.  Rail and public transit fans
absolutely do care about this distinction.  Especially virtual railroaders,
who could easily recreate fullscale models of real world systems easily if
they have accurate and precise data on where the tracks are.