[Tagging] courtyards

Stephen Gower socks-openstreetmap.org at earth.li
Mon Feb 9 15:01:19 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 06, 2015 at 11:14:17PM +0100, Friedrich Volkmann wrote:
> Courtyards use to be mapped as "inner" members of building multipolygons. We
> can also use the multipolygon relation to assign a name to the bullding. If
> we want to assign a name to the courtyard, we must assign it to the way. But
> then we need some kind of physical tag in addition. Applications won't know
> what do do with the name when there aren't any other tags.

Here in Oxford (where we have many examples of named quadrangles/courtyards)
I see examples where they are tagged as highway=footway areas (e.g.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/301895528 ) but more often the central
section of lawn has been named (e.g. http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/228244550 )

In reality, it is neither the paving or the lawn that is the named feature,
it's the architectual feature containing these and itself bounded by the
buildings (although in the case of cloistered courtyards, the covered
arcades around the edge are arguably both part of the building and the
courtyard). I support creation of a tag for more consistantly marking these
named features, but I have no idea where in the tagging structure it is
best placed (building/landuse/amenity/etc all have their problems).