[Tagging] Tram tracks running in a road

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 21:59:41 UTC 2015

> <mailto:winfixit at gmail.com>>:
>
>     Keep in mind it's only a model to represent reality. A model which
>     uses lines for what in reality are areas, so whatever we do, it
>     will never be a perfect fit.
>

> +1, why not draw area:highway=* for the road areas to model that the
> trams run on the road and not separately?

Few thing would be true lines i.e. zero width. Things like boundaries
would be true lines (country/state/administrative). Most cliff lines
will have some 'widt' as they won't be perfectly vertical. Roads and
train line have a definite width, and that width can be represented by
the lanes= or track gauge entries. It is not unusual to have a sinle
drawing line represent something eles in reality e.g. single line
electrical drawing have a single line represent a number of wires, this
easies the drawing and makes the resulting 'map' easier to read. I see
little advantage to making highways areas for the work input involved
myself.

Upto the mapper on the spot. But remen]ber that the data input may not
get to the output - the render may not use it.