[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - traffic_signals (Lukas Schaus)

Lukas Schaus jan.l.schaus at campus.tu-berlin.de
Tue Feb 10 13:33:24 UTC 2015

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com,  Mon Feb 9 15:47:00 UTC 2015
> You did not comment on my question about micromapping a junction and
> adding a highway=traffic_signal at the pedestrian crossing or the stop
> line for each direction separately. Have a look at the examples below
> [1],[2].
>
> For complete direction separated junctions like [3] we probable will not
> even need any relation.
>
> Please, consider this tagging style and show me how this will work
> together with your proposal.
>
> Altogether, I am not sure if this relation is needed at all but for sure
> not at the current base.
>
> Still would prefer simple tags on the nodes if possible.
>
> cu fly
>
> [1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/48.10739/7.85080
> [2] https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/48.06123/7.81258
> [3] https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/47.98530/7.82814
I am sorry i did not see your question,
If the traffic signals are mapped at the stop line or the pedestrian
crossing this scheme works still perfectly. the From way is the way
the signal is at and the direction can be specified by forward or
backward. Simple Tags on the nodes only work with this scheme
mentioned by you. With intersections where the signal is mapped at the
crossing of 2 roads it is not working. Why would there no relation
needed in 3?

AYTOUN RALPH ralph.aytoun at ntlworld.com, Tue Feb 10 11:09:16 UTC 2015
> My feelings....is this not something for a separate study by someone rather
> than a feature on OSM? Keeping this kind of information updated will be an
> impossibility....many cities are becoming "computerised" and the signals
> adjusted according to the traffic conditions along that road. At best the
> timings could be either static or variable.

That is why we kept the mapping of the phases simple and not accurate.
These values shall give an idea on how long a total cycle of the
traffic_signal is and an average of green time or the proportion
between red and green time. These two information are very helpful for
simulations.
Please note that the phases tag is only one part of the proposal. at
least as important is the ability to define to-ways for the signal.
Knowing this other traffic_signals on the way can be ignored since
they are not of concern for the turning vehicle. Also the defined
connection of a turn_lane to its destination is a major benefit from
this scheme