[Tagging] Nominatim mysteries

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 05:06:06 UTC 2015

On 12/02/2015 2:24 PM, André Pirard wrote:
> On 2015-02-12 02:22, Warin wrote :
>> Hi,
> Thanks for your reply.

Your welcome.

>> The OSM data is in English. And the data you are trying to search for
>> is tagged amenity=recycling or amenity=recycling_point.
>>
>> Your trying to search for it using French terms (as shown in the
>> table you have below) .. some work, some don't.
> These statements are compatible with what I have said indeed.
I simply restated the issue in my own language to make certain I
understood.
>> This would be an application issue? Rather than a tagging issue?
> This is why I'm seeking advice from those who know Nominatim and the tags.
> If the specification page
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim/Special_Phrases>
> explained what are the queries resulting from a line like those we
> would have the start of an explanation.  But they are not only as
> fuzzy as usual but also they seem outdated.
>> If it is an application issue then may be better asked on the
>> specific application talk group?
> That's adding another problem: where?  If I look at the fuzzy
> statement  "(comment: why? nobody has told us anything -> Discussion)"
> that could be the discussion page, but if I look at it ...

Marc looks to have given an answer. Maybe if  the specification page
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim/Special_Phrases> had more
on it it would be helpfull? Prefereably in French? Once you have more
maybe you could put it there? Helps the next guy.

>> Good Luck.
> I don't have much.
> I thought that it is important to have OSM queried in the user's
> language, but it seems I'm the only one, that it's another dream of mine,

Trust me - your not the only one. Most just bypass the problem and don't
try to fix it. If you manage the fix .. buy a lottery ticket. If you
don't come back here and restate the problem and what you have done ...
someone may know.

Thanks for your answer Marc .. not an area I'm involved in (yet).