[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - temperature

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 22:14:12 UTC 2015

On 12/02/2015 9:43 PM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> > Why is a node needed? Here some samples..
>

> Do you have any examples where a specific temperature is measurable?
> Do you imagine these tags getting used for buildings like motel rooms,
> huts and caves: and if so what's the suggested tagging scheme for the
> typical cases?
>

> ----------------------
> Often found in *amenity=drinking_water* taps with*bottle=yes* is the
> ability to heat the water anywhere from "ambient" to boiling.
>
> How is that addressed by the proposal?
> *temperature=adjustable*
> Alone does not capture it, as the typical adjustable range won't
> include boiling.  Perhaps:
> *temperature:range=ambient-boiling*

Too much detail? How would it be rendered. I think therr is little point
in adding information that no one would ever use.

Additional tags such as temperature:range can be proposed and discussed
after the temperature= tag is passed or rejected.. no point in
discussing them if temperature= tag is rejected.

> ----------------------
> The wiki suggests testing, e.g. by "throwing water at the object" to
> determine the temperature.  Should that have a survey_date:

as in the source= tag? There are many additional tags that could apply
to a single node with a temperature tag ... e.g.

name=
operator=

stating them all ? Why? I'd think that confuses the merit or otherwise
of the temperature tag.

> *natural=rock*
> *temperature=hot*
> *temperature:**survey_date=20150101*
> *temperature:**survey_date:comment=Threw water on the rocks here, and
> it boiled away within seconds.*
> *note=Geothermal area*

I'd do source:temperature=   not temperature:survey_date:comment=Threw
water on the rocks here, and it boiled away within seconds. Again ..
adds nothing to the discussion on the temperature= tag.

Cannot dates be had from the history?