[Tagging] Change of rendering: place of worship and, terminal without building tag

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 16:50:45 UTC 2015

> So far I have not experienced a problem with adding "religion" and
> "denomination" tags to features operated by a religious community and have
> continued to use the same landuse I'd use otherwise on the same kind of
> feature (if any). What would I gain by adding "landuse=religious"?
>

> To map the _grounds_ of religious facilities where the predominant use is
> worship, and support facilities for the meeting and rituals and various
> things happen.

OK, I think I finally understood the definition, and I agree that
landuse=religious is a fine tag for these (e.g. including the parking of
the church). IMHO the wiki page
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dreligious should be
corrected to be as explicit as you have been here today.

The words "ground of religious facilities" and "predominant use of worship"
are crucial here IMHO --- for instance a place where the politics or
administration of a church are managed won't qualify under this definition
(but should be tagged as commercial I guess, right? We could still add a
religion tag there).

Still there will be some strangeness in some cases, as we already have
established landuse=cemetery, which might also qualify in some cases for
landuse=religious.

cheers,
Martin