[Tagging] RFC aerialway=zip line

Richard Z. ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 20:52:46 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 07:19:35PM +0100, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> Richard Z. wrote on 2015-02-17 15:26:
> >>
> >>Otherwise you need to deprecate playground=zipwire.
> >
> >ok, I am in favor of deprecating playground=zipwire. Large share of aerialway
> >ziplines are part of "adult playgrounds". Technically there are no universally
> >valid principal differences that could differentiate the two uses.
> >Afaics no information is lost when playground zipwires are mapped with the more
> >general aerialway=zip_line plus additional playground attributes.
>
> I see no reason for deprecating the playground feature for the sake of the big one.
>
> They can coexist peacefully, works well with playground=climbingwall and
> features tagged sport=climbing.

it could coexist but there is no reason it should coexist - there is no
fundamental technical or other difference between playground=zipwire
and aerialway=zip_line. Exactly the same construction can be used on
a playground or to cross a river.
Deciding between the two would be always arbitrary and would not add any
information which could not be added with other well known tags.

Richard