[Tagging] maxwidth vs. maxwidth:physical vs. width

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 18 08:44:23 UTC 2015

As lots of people frequently point out, what about emergency vehicles?
They can (often) ignore legal restrictions, but not physical ones:

if(i_am_an_emergency_vehicle)

 maxfoo = min(maxfoo:physical, maxfoo:legal)

else

 maxfoo = maxfoo:physical;

On 2015-02-17 19:57, moltonel 3x Combo wrote:

> On 16/02/2015, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2015-02-16 10:42 GMT+01:00 Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com>: * maxwidth: this is a legal limitation; nothing wider than the given value may use the feature +1, there is also the synonym "maxwidth:legal" (IMHO not advisable, as this is the same than the more used "maxwidth")

That's what the maxwidth wiki page states, but it is strangely
inconsistent with maxheight. It really should be the same definition
for both, and I think the height variant makes more sense.

maxfoo = min(maxfoo:physical, maxfoo:legal)

Don't assume that legal =< physical. For example, many roads have a
default legal max but didn't bother setting a legal limit on
individual chokepoints. When physical != legal, you may want to add
the subkeyed tag for the bigger value (or both), but most data users
will only care about the simple key.

Links:
------