[Tagging] Deprecating aerialway=goods

Richard Z. ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 12:25:39 UTC 2015

So let us see:

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 01:12:22PM +0100, Andreas Labres wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Those "Materialseilbahnen" (ropeways for goods) are typical in the Alps to
> supply alpine huts (where everybody can get something to eat and stay overnight)
> with everything that is needed. The only alternative there is a helicopter flight...
>

> On 19.02.15 12:24, Richard Z. wrote:
> > try harder to find an english word for the special aerialway in the picture
> > becuase mappers all over the world have been using this improperly to map
> > large mining and industrial aerialways.
>
> I'd disagree that this is improper use. They are also "Materialseilbahnen"
> (ropeways for goods). There is no cabin for passengers but a loading platform or
> kind of hanging lorry. The principle is the same as with (hanging) cable cars
> with a track rope and a drag rope, but the technolgy is much, much simpler, as
> there is no passengers in potential danger.

well in one place you insist on a very specific type specified in the picture and
used in the Alps which may or may not take passengers but you also say it is fine
to use the same tagging for industrial or mining aerialways of whichever construction.
By that definition "goods" would be good to tag any kind of aerialway construction
which may or may not transport passengers.

I believe it would be more usefull to tag aerialways by type of construction (gondola,
zip_line,cable_car,drag_lift,magic_carpet, funitel) and use additional tags to say
it is used for transport of persons, goods or mixed.
As it happens we already have all the tags needed: usage=* and access=* type tags.

We can also have more special values things like the open casket miniature cable_car in
the picture.

Btw, an interesting case of mixed use:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FReKw2jaO-Y/UG1s7Iq9J9I/AAAAAAAAIXI/04Z1fOD7u9I/s640/DSC_0149.JPG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-amlErNFPUYM/UG1s-w6gnBI/AAAAAAAAIXQ/KnO9g60tO74/s640/DSC_0136.JPG