[Tagging] tag for portages?

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 02:37:23 UTC 2015

Thanks for bringing this up. Canoe routes and their connectors is a topic
that needs work.

In the present case and to answer your question, I would prefer portage=*

This would leave open multiple possibilities for values, yes/no, canoe.
kayak, etc., that might more fully describe the portage.The other two are
too limited or specialized, IMO.

Another issue regarding canoe routes which needs to be addressed at some
point in the future is that there is, to my knowledge, no way to tag the
waterway portions of a canoe trail or route.

Cheers,

Dave

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 3:14 AM, Brad Neuhauser <brad.neuhauser at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi, I'd like to add some tags for canoe portages (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portage) in wilderness areas. These would be
> trails tagged highway=path plus some tag to designate that they're used for
> portaging between lakes. I have found three different tags that are
> currently used to tag portages (there may be others?), and am wondering if
> anyone has recommendations about what would be best.
>
> 1) portage=* (223 objects)  http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/portage
> 2) whitewater=portage_way (227 objects)
> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/whitewater=portage_way
> 3) canoe=portage  (67 object)