[Tagging] Canopy radius for natural=tree

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 23 22:48:54 UTC 2015

No adjectives here... "Crown diameter" is a compound noun composed of
two nouns.

More likely a germanic language where the juxtaposition implies a
genitive - "diameter crown" --> "diameter of the crown". Could certainly
be Dutch or German - it's a very common construct.

On 2015-02-23 23:22, John F. Eldredge wrote:

> True. English usually has an adjective followed by a noun. I would guess that "diameter crown" was probably written by someone more familiar with a language where adjectives follow nouns.
>
> --
> John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
> "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
>
> On February 23, 2015 3:17:33 PM Brad Neuhauser <brad.neuhauser at gmail.com> wrote:
> "diameter crown" also doesn't appear to be vernacular English, unfortunately. "Crown diameter" or "crown spread" seem to be more widely used. For example, see http://www.treeterms.co.uk/definitions/crown-diameter [1], and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_crown_measurement#Crown_Spread_Methodologies [2]
>
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 2:55 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 24/02/2015 5:09 AM, althio wrote:
>
> From usage at http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/natural=tree#combinations [3]
>
> I will suggest you look into:
> 145 135 diameter_crown [4]=*
> Missing documentation in the wiki?
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:natural%3Dtree#Size [5]
>
> The suggestion there is tree_spread .. also undocumented.
>
> diameter_crown looks to be used by JOSM ... pity they did not document it.

Links:
------
[1] http://www.treeterms.co.uk/definitions/crown-diameter
[2]