[Tagging] Canopy radius for natural=tree

scubbx markus4mayr.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 10:44:05 UTC 2015

Markus (ScubbX), an Austrian here!
Two years ago I did an import of roughly 120.000 trees in vienna. Most of
them had their crown diameter as an attribute.
In a blog post I described the process:
https://gisforge.wordpress.com/2012/07/13/preparing-the-opengovernment-treecadastre-of-vienna-for-osm-import/

Concerning the "diameter_crown" - I just cite a part of the blog post: "The
diameter of the crown has no appropriate tag in the OSM-naming scheme. This
is quite disturbing since I see many cartographic possibilities to use this
value. I decided to still include this value with the import by using a tag
called “diameter_crown“, like it is proposed on the tree-3D-visualisation
pagein the OSM-wiki."
The tree-3D-visualisation page is:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tree_table#Tagging

This is (at least for my part) the origin of the tag "diameter_crown".