[Tagging] Super-keys are evil

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Wed Feb 25 00:57:35 UTC 2015

> On Feb 25, 2015, at 3:55 AM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:
>
> The editing tools have a role here, with iD leading the way.
>
> With iD one writes the thing, for example a "bathroom".
> The editor matches this to available tags and lets you choose.
> It even hides the actual tag name (amenity=toilet most likely in this case).
>
> Thus with a good set of aliases, the actual tag name becomes unimportant to remember.

This is really true - sidewalk is an alias (?) to footpath, and crosswalk is an alias to footpath + crossing=zebra

It's really convenient, and I don't have to remember to even hit a radio button or a choice from a drop down menu to select what kind of crossing it is.

As long as the terms are not ambiguous, it is a great abstraction of the tags.

Javbw