[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - goods_conveyor

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 01:28:25 UTC 2015

> > The proposal looks good, add "location=*" to it.
>
> I dislike location=* for various reasons. But you may use it if you like.

I first came across the location key when it was used to indicate whether
the Trans-Alaska Pipeline was running underground or overground. At the
time I thought it was a bad choice of words but it is fairly well
established in the OSM schema by now (44K occurrences of over- or
underground). Other important and potentially useful values of location
are: overhead, indoors, outdoors, underwater.

The one goods_conveyor I tagged was moving coal, as I said, and at several
points it was running over a roadway on a bridge. I was unable to tag the
bridge in a way that caused it to show up on the OSM slippy map. Any
potential rendering solutions would need to take that into account somehow.

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 6:29 AM, Richard Z. <ricoz.osm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 07:14:36PM +0100, Friedrich Volkmann wrote:
>

> > > The proposal looks good, add "location=*" to it.
> >
> > I dislike location=* for various reasons. But you may use it if you like.
>
> the proposal could be more detailed in this point. How do
> you tag conveyors above ground? As bridge?
>
> Richard

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand