[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - goods_conveyor

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 12:02:52 UTC 2015

This bridge was a suspension bridge and was carrying the weight of the coal
as well as the conveyor belt. I don't agree that the conveyor should be on
layer 2 because the structure is exactly analogous to a highway bridge. The
conveyor belt is equivalent to the roadway or pavement and is therefore IMO
part of layer 1. Unfortunately, I did not save my photo of it.

Cheers,
Dave

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 12:06 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I dislike location=* for various reasons. But you may use it if you
>> like.
>>
>> I first came across the location key when it was used to indicate whether
>> the Trans-Alaska Pipeline was running underground or overground. At the
>> time I thought it was a bad choice of words but it is fairly well
>> established in the OSM schema by now (44K occurrences of over- or
>> underground). Other important and potentially useful values of location
>> are: overhead, indoors, outdoors, underwater.
>>
>> The one goods_conveyor I tagged was moving coal, as I said, and at
>> several points it was running over a roadway on a bridge. I was unable to
>> tag the bridge in a way that caused it to show up on the OSM slippy map.
>> Any potential rendering solutions would need to take that into account
>> somehow.
>>

> Usually the bridge is for safety .. if the conveyor brakes or something
> falls off it the bridge under it will catch it.
>
> Thus I'd do an area for the bridge .. layer=1
>  then the conveyor on top of that layer = 2

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand