[Tagging] tagging very wide steps - highway=steps on an area?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 11:09:07 UTC 2015

>  I read the wiki entry on steps (
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dsteps
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=steps>) and the
> discussion page,
>
> and besides the discussion on which direction means uphill (that really
> needs to be decided),

I had assumed for years that the direction pointing upwards was a commonly
agreed on standard, being myself an architect I hadn't expected this to be
questionable, but as I got so much flak from people insisting on the other
way round, I now am adding the tag incline=up to all steps. This way you
remove any ambiguity and introduce some further stability also for cases
where the way direction gets inverted. No need for any (IMHO unachievable)
decision any more ;-)

> can I use steps to define an area, just like highway=pedestrian?

There is the area relation proposal which deals explicitly with this
(type=area), but it isn't supported by any data consumer AFAIK.
Please note that you have to create a new relation for every continuous
part of stairs (i.e. the stair landings are not included).
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Area#Area-steps.2C_steps_which_are_wide_and.2For_irregular

Might sound complicated but it is actually quite easy to model:

1. create an empty relation and add the tags:
type=area
highway=steps
(and more like step_count, surface, etc.)

2. draw the upper delimiting way of the steps (border where the last riser
is) and add it with the role "upper" to the relation

3. draw the lower delimiting way (border where the first riser is) and add
it with the role "lower" to the relation

done.

if you want you can

4. draw the lateral boundaries and add them with the role "lateral" to the
relation (suggested for non-linear lateral boundaries only).

cheers,
Martin