[Tagging] bridge=movable?

Christopher Hoess cahoess at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 17:43:49 UTC 2015

Dave,

My rationale for the revisions was roughly as described by Dominik and
Tobias. "Movability" is a potentially important property for routers, and
there are a lot of different types of movable bridge; some are nearly
unique and difficult to classify as to type, or they may simply be hard to
classify without on-site observation. The router isn't going to care what
mechanism is used to move the bridge, so having an explicit bridge=movable
tag lets us convey that information even if we're having trouble with a
more detailed classification.

I didn't add a tag to indicate the bridge is fixed in position because
that's the default state for bridges; they should be assumed to be fixed
unless explicitly tagged as movable. The trick Dominik mentioned "Note that
this key may be used without tagging bridge=movable, to indicate a formerly
movable bridge that has been fixed shut," was criticized as being a bit too
subtle and prone to misinterpretation as an error; I could float a proposal
for a fixed bridge tag to make that explicit if people feel it's worthwhile.

--
Chris