[Tagging] hrmpf.

Rainer Fügenstein rfu at oudeis.org
Thu Jan 1 23:34:55 UTC 2015

frederik,

FR> I think it's a slippery slope problem. Agreed that 13 nodes is not a
FR> lot. But at how many would you draw the line? 20? 100? 500?

all 13 nodes have been checked and edited by me manually (not using
search-and-replace). since this case is not covered in the mechanical
edit policy, IMHO this policy does not apply.

therefore, it should not matter if 13, 20, 100, 500 nodes have been
changed this way.

the main reason for the edit was the fact that those nodes contained
both man_made=pipeline AND pipeline=marker tags, which was even wrong
considering the old version of the pipeline wiki page.

FR> How many
FR> objects would you mechanically-edit without any extra discussion and
FR> solely based on an 18:4 vote in a tagging discussion?

pipeline mapping is the field of a small minority of mappers.
considering this logic, established tags in fields of "minority
interests" can never be changed, unless it becomes the interest of the
majority.

apart from that, the main criticism is the change of "type=*" to
"sustance=*" (which was also done in the changeset) as a result of the
proposal. I see a point here, considering that the change of a tag
affects map styles, software, ... as mentioned by SomeoneElse.

I followed the proposal process step by step, and it does say nothing
about notifying others. thanks to Matthijs for his research & comment.

cu